Monday, April 02, 2007
So there is a market for digital products without DRM protection! Apple and EMI just announced that they will offer DRM-free songs through the iTunes store. This is a very good step in my opinion, not only Apple shows that it is not trying to be an obtrusive monopoly (i.e., users are no longer bound to have an ipod to play songs bought through iTunes... they can now play it on any computer, or portable mp3 player--I always feared that if Apple had the same power as Microsoft, they would be even a worst monopoly, but this shows there is actually hope by not trying to monopolize everything) but it is also a very good step for the digital industry in general. DRM protected goods are the main problem for achieving interoperability. Not only for music, but in the future for downloaded movies, TV programs, and games. Users want to play the goods that they own wherever they want and on any device they want. I hope this experiment succeeds, and people buy music at the premium price as opposed to illegally downloading it from other sources.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Fine I'll buy them !!! I had not used Kazaa in a while... yeesh
I do like this option, cause its hard to get people who have the CDs you want and get them to lend it to you :P
So maybe I can start buying the music I like without having to invest in a complete CDs which song I might only like 2.
If this means that Apple will not be an evil empire... I dunno. This is only to get more people to buy from THEIR online stores. So no change on any iPOD user but grabbing all the others... once they are all cluster in your net... GRAB THEM... and form the EMPIRE.
We will see
Post a Comment