Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Today I went to panda express to have lunch, since I went to McKeldin library to get a book I had placed on hold. One of the books was supposed to be on hold until april the third, so I went early this morning april fourth, hoping it would still be here, but it wasn't :( , I asked the lady if they wake up very early to take out the books that weren't picked up, and she said that they usually didn't do it that early... I guess I was just unlucky because now the book is gone back to the original university library... oh well, in iny case I was in Panda Express where I met Hui. and a couple of his friends. They sat with me. He asked me what I was reading, and I said "The histories" by Herodotus, and so he started telling me some details about the book It seems he read part of it, but never finished it of. They were narrating at the moment how Cyrus took Babylon. I found out that Cyrus is the trasliteration of the Greek version of the Persian /Koroush/ or /Khorvash/ meaning: "Like the sun" -- in Persian /khour/ means "sun" and /vash/ is a suffix of similarity. He is indeed a very grand personality and very forward-thinking I believe, for his time. I also talked with Huigang about a documentary that I had seen last night in the history channel, called "The true story of Hannibal". It was a very interesting and long documentary (2 hours), narrating the story of the famous military general Hannibal and the second Punic War between Carthage and Rome. Spain was under Carthague's rule and he left New Carthage (now Cartagena in Spain... also the name of a famous city in Colombia) to conquer Rome and defeated them repeatedly in several battles. However he was never able to make Rome surrender, not even with the battle of Cannae, where the Romans had around 80,000 people and the Carthagians around 40,000, and where Rome was completely defeated, loosing around 50,000 men while some 20,000 were taken prisoners, while the Carthagians only lost around 7,000 people. In the end Hannibal could never capture Rome and in the meantime Scipio, a Roman general veteran of all the wars in which Rome had been defeated by Hannibal, started conquering Spain and then left to attack Carthage itself, so Hannibal had to return and finally was defeated by Scipio. In the end Hannibal ended up as a refugee avoiding imprisonment by Rome and at the end he committed suicide before getting captured by Rome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment