Tuesday, April 05, 2005

So yesterday I ended up studying in my university. Rad. called around 10pm wondering if she should call, which apparently she did, but she left a message. Then I went home and I ended up watching this movie "What dreams may come", it is a Robin Williams movie, where he is married to a woman and they have two kids who are killed in a car accident. The wife starts feeling guilty because the kids asked her to drive but she couldn't make it and so someone else was driving. Then, four years later Robin Williams is also killed in another car accident while on the way to do a favor to his wife, therefore she ends up feeling more and more guilty. At the end she commits suicide and cannot go to heaven as she doesn't know she is dead, something along the lines that those who cannot forgive themselves cannot be forgiven, and so Robin Williams embarks on a quest through what you might call "hell" in order to bring her back to heaven. Watching this I found out that all the people in "heaven" were selfish pigs living their happy life while the rest of the humanity was suffering eternally and they didn't try to do anything... but oh well, the point is that Robin Williams find his wife in hell and she doesn't recognize him... and after a lot of attempts he realizes he cannot bring her back to heaven, so he tells his guide through hell that the guide was always right and she cannot come to heaven so... I am going to stay here with her... I thought that was a very nice argument and I would have loved if the movie ended there.. but then when robin Williams was there, he started also getting confused and forgetting who he was and everything... and so his wife seeing him lost suddenly realized who she was and "saved" him... and then they woke up both in heaven, living very happily with their children... and then they decided to reincarnate and found themselves again in earth (this last part is the same storyline of an Argentinian movie by Eliseo Subiela called "No te mueras sin decirme a donde vas" which by the way is my favorite Argentinian director... we should see more of his movies. My favorite is "Pequeños Milagros".... but I digress) anyways, that was it. I found the movie to be relatively good, although I found they were very superficial on the emotions of the woman, we don't really know what is happening in her life, we don t see her pain, rather she cries in a couple of scenes, but there is no explanation of what she is feeling... but maybe it might have been pretentious to write about this topic where most likely the writers hadn't experienced.

The other thing is about the Histories of Herodotus. I keep marveling at the depiction of the time, and one of the eternal questions of where do we come from... For example there was this ruler in Egypt who was wondering who was the oldest civilization, and so to claim that Egypt was the first civilization he sent two children to live without contact from any human being but being provided with the necessary meals. At the end the goal was to see which was the first dialect that the child spoke... after finding out that the first word the kids said was bread in some language (I can't remember the culture now), then the king conceded that that must have been the earliest civilization and therefore Egypt was not. Also interesting to see that one of the accounts of the death of Cyrus is against the army of queen Tomryis, who defeated the Persians. Talk about woman Warriors. " Tomyris became queen of the Massegetai upon the death of her husband. Cyrus of Persia wanted her kingdom and offered to marry her for it, but she declined and they fought each other, instead. Cyrus tricked the third of Tomyris' army led by her son, who was taken prisoner and committed suicide. Then the army of Tomyris ranged itself against the Persians, defeated it and killed King Cyrus. " Another interesting descriptions is how they didn't know the origin of the Nile because of the desert, or how is the world divided, why is the Nile different than other rivers, Where do Creek gods come from (Dionisious=Osiris? Zeus=Amon?) it is very interesting to see human reasoning at its best given the facts and knowledge of the day.

No comments: