Wednesday, April 20, 2005

 I think
suffering should make you less sensitive/reactive to world
events because you know 'this is life' and you cannot plan it.
Hopefully it will also empower you to empathise with people
who suffer, at a deeper level and if you are really a 'good'
person, do something that help those sufferings that can be
relieved.

Yes, I totally agree. I remember that a while ago I recalled to G. Nietzche's quote on "whatever doesn't kill you, just makes you stronger", and althought I always thought it meant that you have the chance of learning from your mistakes in order for you to become a better person and be ready next time similar things happen... I was thinking that the quote didn't really applied to tragic events ... I was thinking that the word "strong" meant cynical, but then I was thinking that it can have two consequences, one can be that you can be shattered or destroyed (in which case you might not be stronger anymore), or in the other case it just makes you wiser in the sense that as you say, you realize "this is life", and rather than becomimg cynical, you become stoic.

Talking about Colombian and Persian traditions, there are a lot of Colombian poets who are very good, unfortunately after searching for a while, I couldn't find an english translation of their poems, and since I didn't want to ruin their message by my bad translation, I couldn't show any proof of the "deep" Colombian culture... however I always remember one of my favorite quotes from the famous persian mathematician, better known in the west by its poety: . "Oh, come with old Khayyam, and leave the Wise To talk; one thing is certain, that Life flies; One thing is certain, and the Rest is Lies; The Flower that once has blown forever dies". The only thing we have certain in life is death, the only thing we have certainty to believe in, the only oracle or prophecy that comes true. The rest is so unexpected, that you might as well keep dancing ;)

No comments: