Thursday, October 18, 2007

To the lighthouse

To the lighthouse is another of the modernist novels where the plot is not important... however, while reading Wikipedia, trying to figure out why this novel was so famous, I found out an interesting point.

"In order to be able to understand thought, [Virginia] Woolf's diaries reveal, the author would spend considerable time listening to herself think, observing how and which words and emotions arose in her own mind in response to what she saw".


How interesting is that! I have always wondered... how can you think without a language? How do dogs or whales think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you always think in a language, like in a conversational manner? I think there is a layer under words. Just like with computer programming, Matlab is a layer built on C++ (i think). In other words, I don't think that a language leads to thought, it is the other way around.

:)

Have fun in BC, hope you find your hotel.

styx said...

I think I always think in a language... you don't?

Anonymous said...

no, not me. sometimes i do, but not always.