This is a nice way of expressing the view of all this movies and books against totalitarian regimes, and also explains why care must be taken before applying Game Theory to the analysis of a set of "rational" decision makers! Interesting that this writing came before Huxley or Nash!
Why, in the first place, when in all these thousands of years has there been a time when man has acted only from his own interest? What is to be done with the millions of facts that bear
witness that men, CONSCIOUSLY, that is fully understanding their realWhy, in the first place, when in all these thousands of years has there been a time when man has acted only from his own interest? What is to be done with the millions of facts that bear
interests, have left them in the background and have rushed headlong on
another path, to meet peril and danger, compelled to this course by
nobody and by nothing, but, as it were, simply disliking the beaten track,
and have obstinately, wilfully, struck out another difficult, absurd way,
seeking it almost in the darkness.
...
you tell me again that an enlightened and developed man, such, in short, as the
future man will be, cannot consciously desire anything disadvantageous
to himself, that that can be proved mathematically. I thoroughly agree, it
can--by mathematics. But I repeat for the hundredth time, there is one
case, one only, when man may consciously, purposely, desire what is
injurious to himself, what is stupid, very stupid--simply in order to have
the right to desire for himself even what is very stupid and not to be
bound by an obligation to desire only what is sensible. Of course, this
very stupid thing, this caprice of ours, may be in reality, gentlemen,
more advantageous for us than anything else on earth, especially in
certain cases. And in particular it may be more advantageous than any
advantage even when it does us obvious harm, and contradicts the
soundest conclusions of our reason concerning our advantage--for in
any circumstances it preserves for us what is most precious and most
important--that is, our personality, our individuality.
future man will be, cannot consciously desire anything disadvantageous
to himself, that that can be proved mathematically. I thoroughly agree, it
can--by mathematics. But I repeat for the hundredth time, there is one
case, one only, when man may consciously, purposely, desire what is
injurious to himself, what is stupid, very stupid--simply in order to have
the right to desire for himself even what is very stupid and not to be
bound by an obligation to desire only what is sensible. Of course, this
very stupid thing, this caprice of ours, may be in reality, gentlemen,
more advantageous for us than anything else on earth, especially in
certain cases. And in particular it may be more advantageous than any
advantage even when it does us obvious harm, and contradicts the
soundest conclusions of our reason concerning our advantage--for in
any circumstances it preserves for us what is most precious and most
important--that is, our personality, our individuality.
Notes from the Underground
FYODOR DOSTOYEVSKY
3 comments:
Im confused
I just finished Animal Farm, and it would've been a great book if the pigs didn't use "comarade" in their speech.
why is it bad that the pigs use "comrade"? It is a very sad book I believe :'(
Cause I love RUSSIA, and they keep using the communist as if they were the only ones to evolve to a Totalitarian government, but there have been Capitalist dictators, and this guys that is allready tapping our phone lines and allowing torture.
If the pigs would say "My fellow america...I mean ... animal farmers" That would've benn cooler.
Anyway It is a VERY Sad book. BOXER'S FATE, and struggle when he thought he had taken a life... it was ... I dunno, but it moved me a lot.
And though it made me hate pigs for a while, I remember my time in Panaca, and how cool pigs can be.
Now... why do I eat hot dogs?
Post a Comment